GLAD Series – Glancing Angle Deposition Stages
Substrate at a variable glancing angle to the mounting flange
- Continuous azimuthal rotation from 0.1 - 20rpm, but at any tilt angle from zero to +/- 85 degrees.
- Substrate temperature heating to 1200°C, with solid Silicon Carbide technology option to provide durability in O2 rich environments.
- DC bias ≤ 1 kV for sputter process modification - ultra-stable plasma during azimuthal rotation.
- RF bias to 100W power for substrate cleaning prior to deposition. Ultra-stable plasma during azimuthal rotation.
- Z-axis travel up to 200mm to accommodate different source geometries.
- Optional rotation of the entire stage/tilt axis orientation to facilitate glancing angle deposition using out-of-plane sources. (Requires the use of a differentially pumped rotary feedthrough that can be fitted as an option.)
Glancing Angle Deposition (GLAD) is creating great interest in areas where structured three-dimensional deposition is required.
Based on UHV Design's highly successful EpiCentre range, the GLAD stage provides an in-line solution (as with the EC-I Series) but with the addition of substrate tilt. Being an in-line stage, a large range of axial (Z) motion can be provided.
By precisely controlling the polar and azimuthal rotations simultaneously, novel structures can be grown, which have, for example, columnular morphology or a nano-helical structure or are structured via anisotropic shadowing. Such materials have applications in many highly topical fields such as photonics, catalysis, biocompatible materials and fuel cells. Being fully UHV compatible, the GLAD stage is eminently suitable for use with all the usual directional deposition sources, including:
- Thermal Evaporation
- Physical Vapor Deposition
- Pulsed Laser Deposition
- Magnetron Sputtering
Stage Configuration: GLAD Series
|Substrate size||2" (50mm)||4" (100mm)|
|CF300 / 14" OD system flange||✓||✓|
|CF350 / 16.5" OD system flange||✓||✓|
|Heater element||Silicon Carbide coated graphite (SiCg) as standard (see Options below)|
|Substrate rotation||Continuous, Stepper motorised, 0.1 - 20 rpm|
|Substrate tilt||Manual actuation +/- 85°|
|Insertion length||240mm flange face to substrate center|
|Deposition height adjustment||None (see options below)|
|Thermocouple||1 x Type K|
|Achievable temperature||1200°C (based on heating a Molybdenum sample)|
|DC & RF bias||DC bias ≤ 1kV, RF ≤ 100W (inc. dark space shielding - must use screened thermocouple options)|
|Shutter||Manual, pneumatic, steppper motorised|
|Heater element||Solid Silicon Carbide (sSiC)|
|Thermocouple options||1 x (screened) Type K 1 x (screened) Type C|
|Deposition height adjustment||up to 200mm|
|Deposition height automation||24 V DC Motor, stepper motor, Smart Motor, no motor* (*gearbox only fitted, customer supplies and fits NEMA 23 frame motor)|
|Substrate rotation||24 V DC motor or Smart Motor or no motor* (*gearbox only fitted, customer supplies and fits NEMA 23 frame motor)|
|Substrate tilt automation||Stepper motor, Smart Motor, no motor* (*gearbox only fitted, customer supplies and fits NEMA 23 frame motor)|
|Homing sensor||Internal magnetic switch|
|Custom insertion length||Available on request|
|Stage / Tilt axis rotation (via DPRF)||Available on request|
|Stage / Tilt axis rotation automation||Available on request|