UHV Sputter Platform
High-Performance UHV Platform Optimized for Magnetron Sputtering Applications
The Kurt J. Lesker Company® LAB Line UHV Sputter platform is purpose built for magnetron sputtering deposition applications. A chamber design tailored to fit UHV sputter process needs, an industry best software control system with advanced programming, load lock capability, and numerous features for optimized thin film performance are a few of the advantages offered in this innovative design.
The LAB Line series is compatible with the following techniques:
- TORUS® Magnetron Sputtering (up to 12 sources)
- Custom configurations are available upon request
KJLC's innovative eKLipse™ software allows user-friendly recipe creation along with a graphical user interface that is intuitive for new PVD users whilst advanced for seasoned professionals. For more information on this intuitive, unique, and reliable software package, please see the Software Tab.
- R&D Sputter Deposition
- Microelectronics (Metals, Metal Oxides, Dielectrics)
- Data Storage (Magnetic thin films)
- Magnetic Tunnel Junctions
- Superconducting Materials
- Josephson Junctions
- Optical Films and Photonics
Optimized UHV Process Chamber
- Cylindrical 304L Stainless Steel chamber optimized for UHV Magnetron Sputtering processes
- Top plate hoist
- Chamber design is optimized for confocal sputtering source arrangement, compatible with UHV pressure regime, and allows convenient access through top-plate for target change and maintenance
- Option 1 - Nominally 14" (356mm) O.D. x 20" (508mm) High (Sputter 5)
- Option 2 - Nominally 20" (508mm ) O.D. x 26.6" (676mm) High (Sputter 12)
Vacuum Pumping & Gauging
- Industry leading Pfeiffer 1250 L/s turbomolecular pump with an Edwards XDS35i dry scroll roughing pump. Base pressure for a properly conditioned chamber is 9 x 10-9 Torr
- Nude ion gauge and convection gauge read from atmosphere to 10-10 Torr
Utilizing industry leading components allows KJLC to produce the highest quality PVD tools on the market. Components and key manufacturing points are:
- One year warranty standard
- Pfeiffer Turbomolecular pumps
- CTI-Cryogenics® Cryopump Systems
- KJLC Torus sputter sources, and power supplies
- Orbital welding on all process gas lines / manifolds
Systems within the European Economic Area (EEA) are CE marked and comply with the following EU directives:
- Low Voltage Directive (LVD) 2014/35/EU
- Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Directive 2014/30/EU
- Systems outside of the EEA can be CE marked for an additional cost
Fully enclosed system electronics rack.
- Allows all electrical components to be safely housed
- EMO Protection is standard on all KJLC systems
- Isolation transformer and safety interlocks are standard on all KJLC systems
LAB LINE PERFORMANCE
The LAB Line is Kurt J. Lesker's UHV magnetron sputtering platform.
Only KJLC offers Mag-Keeper sputter sources with zero o-rings in the cathode body and a magnetically coupled target to allow for easy target changes. Our "patent pending" cooling well design enables operation at power densities up to 200 watts/.in2. This cathode is designed to sputter up to a 0.375" thick targets. Without a hold down clamp or dark space shield this cathode is capable of running as low as â‰¤ 1mTorr (material dependent). The unique dome shutter design eliminates the need for additional cross contamination shielding required with standard flip or swing shutters.
Click to learn more about sputtering rates and uniformity.
The LAB Line has been designed for optimal uniformities and allows. The chart to the left shows average expected uniformity by deposition type and substrate wafer diameter. Thickness measurements were made using a Profilometer or spectral reflectometer. The actual uniformity achievable will be a function of the final configuration of the system and process parameters.
Typical Deposition Uniformities
The LAB Line offers two types of high vacuum pumping on its process chamber, a 1250L/s Pfeiffer turbomolecular pump or Brooks CTI-8F 1500 L/s, or cryo pump. The Pfeiffer turbomolecular pumps being a good choice for overall cost effective high quality pumping particularly for reactive sputtering applications. The Brook CTI cryo pumps find use in applications that require the lowest vacuum possible.
TORUS® sources are operated at typical sputtering pressures (≤20 mTorr) and utilize Si wafers for deposition. SiO2 Target run with RF Power, film thickness >=500Å. Al Target run with DC Power, film thickness >=1500Å. Ni Target run with High Strength TORUS® & DC Power, film thickness >=1500Å.
- All Films are measured on a properly calibrated Profilometer, Reflectometer or Ellipsometer (if applicable)
- Measurement points are taken starting at the center of the substrate and then radially outward every 0.5 inches (12.7mm), nominally (reference figure to the left)
- Uniformity calculation formula is: ((Max - Min) / (2 x Avg)) x 100% with a 0.2 inch (5mm) edge exclusion
LAB LINE OPTIONS
- Cryo Pump – This package replaces the 1250 L/sec turbo pump in the base system with a CTI-8F 1500 L/sec cryo pump. Base pressure for a properly conditioned chamber is 5 x 10-9 Torr (6.6 x 10-9 mbar)
- Titanium sublimation pump
- Bakeout package
Magnetron Sputtering Source Power Supplies
- Hipims IMPULSE™ - 2kW Pulsed Power Modules for Advanced Magnetron Sputtering. Available in sputter / bias configurations, for more information click here
- 500W, and 1kW, and 1.5kW KJLC DC power supplies
- 300W and 600W KJLC RF power supplies
- 2kW (pulsed) DC power supply
Upstream Pressure Control
- Up to four Fujikin FCST1000F Mass Flow controllers and an Inficon 100mTorr Capacitance Manometer
- One Fujikin FCST1000F Mass Flow controller for inert gas and a 100mTorr Capacitance Manometer
- One or Fujikin FCST1000F Mass Flow controller for a reactive gasses
TORUS® Magnetron Sputtering Source (Up to Twelve)
- Up to twelve KJLC TORUS® 2" or 3" magnetron sputtering sources. Flex head assembly and high strength magnet assemblies options available
- Up to six KJLC TORUS® 4" magnetron sputtering sources. Flex head assembly and high strength magnet assemblies options available
Learn more about our TORUS® Mag Keeper™ sources.
Single Substrate Load Lock
- Low profile design
- Load Lock, turbo pump, and all appropriate gauging
- Compatible with substrates up to 150mm, multisite adapter for smaller substrates
- 67 L/s turbomolecular pump set with isolation valve
- Roughing pump shared with process chamber
- Isolation valve between load lock and process chamber
Standard Substrate Fixtures
- Suitable for substrates up to 6" (150mm) in diameter
- 20 RPM, 800°C or 1000 heat or water cooled
- Up to 100W RF bias
- Automated transfer from substrate load lock
- 3-position UHV gate valve used to isolate turbo pump or cryo pump and as and for pressure control during sputtering process
- 2-position UHV gate valve used to isolate the substrate load lock chamber from the deposition chamber
- KDC40 Gridded ion source allows precise beam shaping with interchangeable ion optics and independent operation of important ion beam properties
Kurt J. Lesker Company® eKLipse™ Controls Software is utilized on all KJLC platforms. The eKLipse™ controls platform utilizes a .NET application running on a Windows PC for its User Interface and Recipe Editor. Equipment automation is accomplished via a standalone Real Time Controller.
- Graphical Recipe Builder – Easily create recipes by clicking on the desired component and set that item's attributes
- Scripted Recipe Builder – A more traditional "scripted" recipe editor exposes more details for setting or checking the value of any system component during a process.
- Real Time Controller – The system operates independently of the Windows software package and will continue the recipe should the software / computer malfunction.
- Independent Thermal Evaporation Thin Film Control – There is no third party software requiring a "handshake" or "handoff" between the Systems Manufacturers software and the thin film controller's software.
Unlimited Recipes, (import/export capable)
- Unlimited recipes with user security level features
- Recipe import/export capability (for transferring recipes between similarly equipped tools)
- Any recipe step can be configured to allow the user to alter a value, enabling process condition changes, without affecting the master recipe. As an example, at the time of execution, the recipe can prompt the user for the desired deposition thickness, or power setting.
- Consistent User experience across all deposition techniques and KJLC platforms (Sputter, Thermal, EBeam, ALD)
- Multi chamber and multi PC control for cluster tools
Custom Chart Recorder and Datalogging
- Custom Chart with up to 10 simultaneous plots
- Chart Recorder can be used to display any setpoint or feedback parameter
- Automatic datalogging of each recipe step for all recipes
- Chart data and configuration can be saved
- Graphical selection of signals to be recorded
Custom Maintenance Counters
- Custom Maintenance Counters are available for each component
- Periodic Maintenance interlocks and recipe checks can be configured for any maintenance counter
- Sputter Target kiloWatt*Hour and custom material usage tracking
- Supports multiple user accounts and password levels with custom security access for recipes and screens
- Software screen access can be customized per user
- Recipe editing and manual operation features can be assigned on a per user basis;
- Users with full access have the ability to edit recipes and control interlocks. Restricted access users will be limited to running certain recipes and have no control over interlocks.
- Every control object can be assigned to a standard user security level.
- Individual screen access can be separately assigned to any user.
Multi User Facility Features
- System event log captures all user login/logout events, all recipes executed, and system status messages
- Interlocking of vacuum and deposition equipment provides continuous system status monitoring while restricting unapproved system usage (no need to 'power off' system screen or PC)
Remote Support Utility and Apps
- Customized Version of TeamViewer allows remote support (free Android and IOS apps)
- Remote connection supports system monitoring/control and file transfer