Thin Film Deposition System Platform
PRO Line PVD 75
Versatile Sputtering, Electron Beam, & Thermal Evaporation Deposition Platform
The Kurt J. Lesker Company® PRO Line PVD 75 is the next generation thin film deposition system based on the workhorse PVD 75 platform. With more than 400 units in service worldwide, the PVD 75 is a proven, robust, and versatile design. The PRO Line PVD 75 builds on the successes of the original design with improved system base pressures and pump down times. A technically superior chamber design, an industry best software control system with advanced programming capability, automatic substrate loading, and numerous features for optimized thin film performance are a few of the key advantages offered in this innovative, best of class design.
The PRO Line PVD 75 is compatible with the following techniques:
- Thermal Evaporation (up to four 4" individual boats, or six 2" boat assemblies)
- TORUS® Magnetron Sputtering sources (up to six 2" or 3" sources)
- Electron Beam Evaporation Source (4 pocket 8cc, 8 pocket 12cc, 6 pocket 20cc)
- LTE10 Organic deposition sources (up to two)
- Combinations of the above techniques are also available.
- Custom configurations are available upon request
KJLC's software allows user friendly recipe creation along with a reliable, uninterruptable processing module that allows process completion, regardless of the state of the computer user interface. For more information on this intuitive, unique, and reliable software package, please see the Software Tab.
Modular Process Chamber
- Box Shaped 304L Stainless Steel chamber: 15.25" wide x 16.50" deep x 24" high (387.4mm wide x 419.1mm deep x 609.6mm high), internal dimensions.
- This chamber comes standard with up to ten spare ports (2-3/4" CF) depending on system configuration.
- Please see the performance tab (above) for information on pumpdown times and base pressures
Fully enclosed system electronics rack.
- *53.5" wide x 32" deep x 75.9" high (1358.9mm wide x 812.8mm deep x 1928mm high)
- *Zero footprint wall mounting available
- Allows all electrical components to be safely housed behind lockable cabinet doors.
- EMO Protection is standard on all KJLC systems.
- Isolation transformer and safety interlocks are standard on all KJLC systems.
*System dimensions and mounting dependent on options selected.
Utilizing industry leading components allows KJLC to produce the highest quality PVD R&D tool on the market. Components and key manufacturing points are:
- One year warranty standard
- Pfeiffer Turbomolecular pumps
- CTI-Cryogenics® Cryopump Systems
- KJLC TORUS sputter sources, and power supplies
- Orbital welding on all process gas lines / manifolds
- Systems within the European Economic Area (EEA) are CE marked and comply with the following EU directives:
- Low Voltage Directive (LVD) 2014/35/EU
- Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Directive 2014/30/EU
- Systems outside of the EEA can be CE marked for an additional cost
The PRO Line PVD 75 offers two types of high vacuum pumping on its process chamber a Pfeiffer 790 L/s turbomolecular pump as standard or an optional Brooks CTI-8F 1500 L/s cryo pump. Either pump is an option for any of the deposition configurations for the PRO Line PVD 75. The Pfeiffer 790 L/s being a good choice for overall cost effective high quality pumping particularly for sputtering applications. The Brook CTI-8F finding use in applications that require the lowest vacuum possible particularly for thermal evaporation and electron beam applications.
The chart to the right demonstrates average expected pumping performance by pump type for an outfitted PRO Line PVD 75 process chamber that is clean and dry with (3) TORUS 3" Mag-keeper sources installed and a 3' long 1.5" metal flex bellows roughing line.
The PVD 75 was re-designed to mount the high vacuum valve directly to the process chamber without the 4" half nipple and now accommodates a larger 790 L/s pump or CTI8 pump. This allows the PRO Line PVD 75 to reach lower base pressures and faster pumpdown times than similarly equipped systems.
The PRO Line PVD 75 is one of Kurt J. Lesker's most versatile thin film deposition systems offering single and multi-technique deposition options including thermal evaporation, magnetron sputtering (TORUS), and electron beam.
Only KJLC offers Mag-Keeper sputter sources with zero o-rings in the cathode body and a magnetically coupled target to allow for easy target changes. Our "patent pending" cooling well design enables operation at power densities UP TO 200 watts/.in2 (material dependent). This cathode is designed to sputter up to a 0.375" thick targets. Without a hold down clamp or dark space shield this cathode is capable of running as low as â‰¤ 1mTorr. The unique dome shutter design eliminates the need for additional cross contamination shielding required with standard flip or swing shutters.
To learn more about sputtering rates and uniformity, click here.
KJLC E-beam sources are also designed to eliminate unnecessary o-rings, seals, and feedthroughs to lower pumpdown times and provide excellent base pressures. Only three feedthrough's are required for the KJLC E-beam source and there is no dynamic water to vacuum o-ring seal in this design which greatly reduces the risk of a water leak in the vacuum chamber.
Thermal evaporation sources typically centered on the substrate fixture have been moved to the outer edges of the fixture to allow for better uniformities. The fixtures allow a source adjustment of up to an inch to allow for optimization to a particular application.
Typical Deposition Uniformities
The PRO Line PVD 75 has been designed for optimal uniformities and allows ultimate base pressures otherwise not achievable in modular R&D systems until now. The chart to the left shows average expected uniformity by deposition type and substrate wafer diameter. Thickness measurements were made using a Profilometer or spectral reflectometer. The actual uniformity achievable will be a function of the final configuration of the system and process parameters.
TORUS® sources are operated at typical sputtering pressures (< 20 mTorr) and utilize Si wafers for deposition. SiO2 Target run with RF Power, film thickness >=500Ã…. Al Target run with DC Power, film thickness >=1500Ã…. Ni Target run with High Strength TORUS® & DC Power, film thickness >=1500Ã….
KJLC electron beam deposition runs utilize Si wafers for deposition. Ti evaporant material with film thickness >=1500Ã….
- All Films are measured on a properly calibrated Profilometer, Reflectometer or Ellipsometer (if applicable).
- Measurement points are taken starting at the center of the substrate and then radially outward every 0.5 inches (12.7mm), nominally (reference figure to the right).
- Uniformity calculation formula is: ((Max - Min) / (2 x Avg)) x 100% with a 0.2 inch (5mm) edge exclusion.
HV Pumping Options
- Cryo Pump – This package replaces the 790 L/sec turbo pump in the base system with a CTI-8F 1500 L/sec cryo pump. Base pressure for a properly conditioned chamber is 5.0 x 10-8 torr (6.67 Ã— 10-8 mbar).
- Dry Pump – Edwards nXDS10i – 6.7 cfm (11.4 m3/hr) Scroll roughing pump.
- Dry pump – Edwards XDS35i – 25 cfm (43 m3/hr) Scroll roughing pump.
- 3-position gate valve for CTI-8F 1500L/s Cryo Pump
- 3-position gate valve for Pfieffer 790 L/sec turbo
- Variable position downstream pressure control valve
Upstream Pressure Control
- Up to four Fujikin FCST1000F Mass Flow controllers and a 100mTorr Capacitance Manometer
PROCESS EQUIPMENT OPTIONS
Magnetron Sputtering Source Power Supplies (Up to Five)
TORUS® Magnetron Sputtering Source (Up to Six)
- Up to six KJLC TORUS® 2" or 3" magnetron sputtering sources. Flex head assembly and high strength magnet assemblies options available.
- Up to four KJLC TORUS® 4" magnetron sputtering sources. Flex head assembly and high strength magnet assemblies options available
For more information on our new Mag Keeper sources please see the following link.
Thermal Evaporation Source
- KJLC Thermal evaporation (TE) assembly, Up to four 4" thermal evaporation sources (in sequential or co-deposition configurations)
- Standard thermal power supply up to 12V or 400A, max 2kW applied power
- High output power options up to 12V or 600A, max 2.5kW applied power
- KJLC 10cc LTE (Low Temperature Evaporation) source, suitable for Organic and low temperature materials (0-550°C)
- Quartz crystal controller is available with thermal options
- Suitable for substrates up to 6" (150mm) in diameter
- 20 RPM, 850°C heat or water cooled
- Up to 100W RF bias
- Automated transfer
eH400, End-Hall permanent magnet ion source or KDC40 Gridded ion source
- eH400 End-hall source is a versatile ion source capable of high current, low energy ion cleaning or etching while limiting damage to substrate surfaces
- KDC40 Gridded ion source allows precise beam shaping with interchangeable ion optics and independent operation of important ion beam properties
- One Fujikin FCST1000F Mass Flow controller and a 100mTorr Capacitance Manometer
- Up to three Fujikin FCST1000F Mass Flow controllers for a reactive gas.
- Substrate gas ring is available
Single Substrate Load Lock
- Low profile design
- Load Lock, turbo pump, and all appropriate gauging
- Compatible with substrates up to 150mm, multisite adapter for smaller substrates
- 67 L/s turbomolecular pump set with isolation valve
- Roughing pump shared with process chamber
- Isolation valve between load lock and process chamber
Kurt J. Lesker Company® eKLipse™ Controls Software is utilized on all KJLC platforms. The eKLipse™ controls platform utilizes a .NET application running on a Windows PC for its User Interface and Recipe Editor. Equipment automation is accomplished via a standalone Real Time Controller.
- Graphical Recipe Builder – Easily create recipes by clicking on the desired component and set that item's attributes
- Scripted Recipe Builder – A more traditional "scripted" recipe editor exposes more details for setting or checking the value of any system component during a process.
- Real Time Controller – The system operates independently of the Windows software package and will continue the recipe should the software / computer malfunction.
- Independent Thermal Evaporation Thin Film Control – There is no third party software requiring a "handshake" or "handoff" between the Systems Manufacturers software and the thin film controller's software.
Unlimited Recipes, (import/export capable)
- Unlimited recipes with user security level features
- Recipe import/export capability (for transferring recipes between similarly equipped tools)
- Any recipe step can be configured to allow the user to alter a value, enabling process condition changes, without affecting the master recipe. As an example, at the time of execution, the recipe can prompt the user for the desired deposition thickness, or power setting.
- Consistent User experience across all deposition techniques and KJLC platforms (Sputter, Thermal, EBeam, ALD)
- Multi chamber and multi PC control for cluster tools
Custom Chart Recorder and Datalogging
- Custom Chart with up to 10 simultaneous plots
- Chart Recorder can be used to display any setpoint or feedback parameter
- Automatic datalogging of each recipe step for all recipes
- Chart data and configuration can be saved
- Graphical selection of signals to be recorded
Custom Maintenance Counters
- Custom Maintenance Counters are available for each component
- Periodic Maintenance interlocks and recipe checks can be configured for any maintenance counter
- Sputter Target kiloWatt*Hour and custom material usage tracking
- Supports multiple user accounts and password levels with custom security access for recipes and screens
- Software screen access can be customized per user
- Recipe editing and manual operation features can be assigned on a per user basis;
- Users with full access have the ability to edit recipes and control interlocks. Restricted access users will be limited to running certain recipes and have no control over interlocks.
- Every control object can be assigned to a standard user security level.
- Individual screen access can be separately assigned to any user.
Multi User Facility Features
- System event log captures all user login/logout events, all recipes executed, and system status messages
- Interlocking of vacuum and deposition equipment provides continuous system status monitoring while restricting unapproved system usage (no need to 'power off' system screen or PC)
Remote Support Utility and Apps
- Customized Version of TeamViewer allows remote support (free Android and IOS apps)
- Remote connection supports system monitoring/control and file transfer